Martha C. Brown
St. Louis Elder Law Attorney
Martha began her career working in Probate matters, including Guardianship cases. As she built her practice, she began working with Medicare and Medicaid matters. By 1994, she had an Elder Law practice, although at the time, she didn't realize what it was. Since that time, she has expanded her practice to include Estate Planning, Long Term Care Planning, Medicaid Planning, Medicare, Incapacitation Issues, and End of Life Decision Making, all in which encompass the area of Elder Law. In the beginning of her practice, there were very few other Elder Law attorneys in St. Louis and she was one of them. Martha enjoys working with clients and their families. She thinks it is a very satisfying practice area because of her ability to assist families help various family members. Ms. Brown has been practicing in the field of Elder Law for over 25 years and is a Certified Elder Law Attorney* as certified by the National Elder Law Foundation.
Ms. Brown is active in various Elder Law committees and associations. Ms. Brown served for eight years on the St. Louis County Disciplinary Committee for the Missouri Supreme Court, which is a committee that handles disciplinary matters involving attorneys. A complete list of her professional affiliations is listed below.
Ms. Brown has received numerous awards for her work with the elderly and disabled, including the 2008 Powley Award, presented to a member of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, who is recognized in their community as a leader in promoting a greater understanding of the rights and needs of elders and persons with special needs and advocating for those rights. Ms. Brown has been designated a "Super Lawyer" every year since 2006 and named "Best Lawyer in America" every year since 2013.
Recently, Ms. Brown has been serving on the Missouri Guardianship Statutory Reform Task Force and completed advanced training to become certified as a Mediator in the areas of Adult Guardianship and Eldercare from Zena D. Zumeta, J.D., a nationally known expert in the area of Elder Mediation.
- University of Bath, Bath, England
- B.A., University of Vermont, 1976
- J.D., University of Missouri-Kansas City, 1981
- Fellow, American College of Trusts and Estates Counsel
- Fellow, National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys
- Member, Missouri Guardianship Statutory Reform Task Force
- Board President, Association for Aging with Developmental Disabilities
- Past Board Member, Mid-East Area Agency on Aging
- Secretary of the Board, NAMI St. Louis Chapter Past Board
- Member and Past Board Member, Voyce formerly known as Long Term Care
- Ombudsman Program for Eastern Missouri
- Past Board Member, St. Louis Bar Foundation
- Chair, Missouri Bar Elder Law Committee, 2001-2004
- Founding Member and past President, Missouri Chapter of NAELA
- Member, The Alzheimer's Association
- Member and Past Board Member, The Special Needs Alliance LLC, a national alliance of disability lawyers Member, Women Lawyers Association of Greater St. Louis
- Member, Council of Advanced Practitioners (CAP) of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys
- Member, The Missouri Bar, including the Probate and Trust Committee and Elder Law Committee
- Member, Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
- 2013-to date, Best Lawyers in America
- 2008 Fellow, National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys
- 2008 Fellow, American College of Trusts and Estates Counsel (ACTEC)
- 2008 Powley Award presented by National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys
- 2006-to date, Super Lawyers
- 2005 Brain Injury Association Service Award
- 2002 National Association of Social Workers' Public Citizen of the Year Award
- 2001 Missouri Chapter, National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys' Elder Law Attorney of the Year Award
- 2000 Alzheimer's Association Volunteer of the Year Award
- 1996 St. Louis County Older Resident Program Volunteer Award
- Author, "Representative Payee for Social Security Benefits" – The Voice, October, 2015 Special Needs Alliance
- Presented "Housing Issues in Special Needs Trusts" – A Webinar for the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, December 3, 2015
- Presented "Long-Term Care Planning Essentials" – A Webinar to Lorman Education Center, August, 2015
- Author, "Housing Issues In Special Needs Trusts: The Devil Is In The Details" – April-June, 2015 Edition of NAELA News
- Author, Chapter on Guardianships and Conservatorship - MO Bar CLE Black Book on Elder Law Original Edition 2002, updated Supplements 2004, 2007, 2nd Edition 2010, Supplemented 2015
- Interview featured in the article entitled, "The road less traveled" by David Engel in the Spring, 2014 edition of the UMKC School of Law Alumni Magazine, Res Ispa
- Author, "Website of Interest" - Special Needs Law Section of the NAELA News, Volume 22, Issue 6, 2010
- Featured in Walletpop.com article July, 2010 - "Medicaid Madness: Lookback period creates financial hardship for many Americans"
- Featured in Money Magazine, July 2010 - "Planning for a Special Needs Child"
- Featured in Missouri Lawyers Weekly - January 18, 2010 "Mysteries Abound in Medicare Set Asides"
- Author, Special Needs Alliance - The Voice (e-mail newsletter) - May 12, 2012 "Special Needs Trusts and Buying a House"
*Neither the Supreme Court of MO nor the Missouri Bar reviews or approves certifications, organizations or specialist designations.
Martha C. Brown & Associates, LLC assist clients with Estate Planning, Elder Law and Probate in St. Louis City, St. Louis County, St. Charles County, Jefferson County, Franklin County and the surrounding areas including Arnold, Ballwin, Barnhart, Bellefontaine Neighbors, Black Jack, Bonne Terre, Brentwood, Bridgeton, Cedar Hill, Chesterfield, Clayton, Crestwood, Creve Coeur, Crystal City, Des Peres, DeSoto, Ellisville, Farmington, Fenton, Festus, Ferguson, Florissant, Fredericktown, Frontenac, Hazelwood, Herculaneum, High Ridge, Hillsboro, House Springs, Imperial, Kirkwood, Ladue, Lake St. Louis, Manchester, Maplewood, Maryland Heights, Mehlville, Normandy, O'Fallon, Olivette, Pacific, Pevely, Richmond Heights, St. Ann, St. Charles, St. Clair, St. Peters, Ste. Genevieve, Sunset Hills, Town & Country, University City, Union, Valley Park, Washington, Webster Groves, Wentzville , Wildwood.