Every January Social Security mails out SSA-1099, or SSA-1042S, tax forms to all Social Security beneficiaries. The forms show what income needs to be reported to the IRS when filing an annual tax return.  The SSA-1042S form only goes out to non-US citizens who live outside of the United States. Everyone else receives the SSA-1099 form. Neither of these forms go to beneficiaries of Supplemental Security Income (SSI).

Recently, Social Security announced how to receive a replacement tax form. Beneficiaries can go to my Social Security (www.ssa.gov/myaccount/) and log into their account to view or print a replacement copy of their form. If beneficiaries do not have an account with my Social Security, they can go to www.ssa.gov/myaccount/ to create a free account. Replacement forms are only available after February 1.

For assistance with estate planning, wills and trusts, special needs planning, and related areas, please call Mitchell, Brown and Associates at (314) 962-0186.