Timothy F. McCurdy
Tim McCurdy is Of Counsel at the firm. Tim grew up on a farm in Southwest Iowa. After obtaining his law degree from the University of Notre Dame, Tim moved to St. Louis to “watch a few Cardinals games” before returning to Iowa. Tim met his now wife and his plans quickly changed – Tim has called St. Louis home for more than twenty years.
Throughout Tim’s legal career, he has helped clients protect their rights in lawsuits throughout the country. After watching a loved one suffer from Alzheimer’s disease, Tim developed a passion for elder law. Tim’s practice now combines his more than twenty years of litigation experience with an in-depth knowledge of estate planning and probate.
Tim devotes his practice to helping families navigate disputes involving estate plans and probate administration. Tim’s trusts and estates litigation practice includes trust and will contests, the removal of fiduciaries, demands for accountings, and contested guardianships. Tim is also frequently appointed by probate judges to represent individuals facing guardianship petitions, and as a court-appointed fiduciary.
Tim also helps families protect their life savings while ensuring access to the health care they need through Medicaid and special needs planning. Tim’s elder law practice also includes helping families develop estate plans to avoid probate and to protect against future challenges to their estate plan.
Tim lives in Chesterfield with his wife, two sons, and two dogs. Outside of the office you can likely find Tim in the stands at a hockey rink or a theater cheering on his sons.
- Bachelor of Arts degree in History, Morningside College;
- Juris Doctorate, University of Notre Dame.
- President-elect, Missouri Chapter of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys (MoNAELA)
- Fellow of the American Bar Foundation (limited to 1% of lawyers in each jurisdiction)
- Former President, Trial Section, Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
- Member, Estate Planning Council of St. Louis
- Missouri Elder Law Desk Book, Chapter 1 “Retirement Benefits” (2022)
- Missouri Elder Law Desk Book, Chapter 5 “Medicare and Supplemental Health Insurance” (2022)
- Change Begins With Us: Eliminating Discrimination During Jury Selection, Journal of the Missouri Bar, November/December 2020 (recognized with the W. Oliver Rasch Award for the top Journal article of the year);
- Missouri Adopts Daubert: Sea Change or Ripple on the Pond?, Journal of the Missouri Bar, November/December 2017 (the W. Oliver Rasch Award winner).
Tim frequently presents seminars for other attorneys and financial professionals on topics ranging from trusts and estates litigation to Medicaid planning. Tim’s presentations include the following:
- “Congratulations, You Are a Conservator. Now What?” 2021 BAMSL Estate Planning Institute;
- “Family Assets in Medicaid Planning” – 2021 NBI;
- “Danger – Ethics Trap Ahead! Representing Clients with Diminished Capacity” – 2021 BAMSL Annual Meeting;
- “From Intake to Trial: An Introduction to Will and Trust Contests” – 2020 Missouri Bar Solo & Small Firm Conference;
- “An Ounce of Prevention: Litigating and Attempting to Prevent Disputes Regarding Undue Influence and Testamentary Capacity” – 2019 Missouri Bar Estate, Trust and Elder Law Institute.